Friday, June 25, 2004

I don't like breaking code that works....

Okay, so that's probably a pretty obvious thing to say, but I think it's turning into a debilitating disease. You see there's a new feature that I've got to add into the client code, I know that it's going to be a complete pain in the arse to add as it is a very special case. So basically I know that it's going to break things for a while till I've managed to get it working properly.

Obviously this code isn't going to go anywhere until it's working, I know that. I know that I'm the only person that is going to have to suffer an application that doesn't work properly, yet somehow this does not help me. I still don't want to start this work.

I think this stems from a general fear I had of breaking things when I started in this company, back in the dreaded old days when the didn't have version control! Yes I know! So we were constantly breaking things, obviously. A team of three working on the same code without version control, what else is going to happen.

I was chatting about these good old days with a friend who worked here back then. He's since run off back to acedemia (it was that scary at the time), but it's nice to chat about it with him. Gives me some perspective on how much better things are now.

Well I suppose writing this is just another way to put off the enevitable....maybe a quick coffee break first... ;)

No comments: