Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Christmas survived...bring on New Year...

Wow Christmas just snuck up on me and then dashed past. Been back to the old homestead this past weekend, and now here in the big smoke again. It's been a great Christmas, my nephew's first (he drooled a lot) and my friends' 26th (they got drunk and drooled a lot).

So next on the traditional things-to-do list is New Years which will be a quiet one in with the, infinitely, better half. With that in mind here comes the ubiquitous "Year in Review" post...

Work

So we'll start with work, and there has been a lot going on, in some respects, not too much in others. I might get a project to completion in the New Year, but will not have made one this year, that kinda sucks, but then I've worked on some exiting things.

We have just got a new CEO, and early in 2005 there will be more new faces around. We also said goodbye to some great people. It's going to be a year of change in many ways.

The development team did manage to get our technology open sourced successfully (http://www.openharmonise.org), that was very satisfying.

Personally

While work was a bit of a mixed bag, personally I had an amazing year. I ended 2003 and started 2004 by telling anyone within earshot that 2004 was going to be the best year ever, and although none of them would believe me it did turn out that way.

I met and fell completely for the above mentioned "better half".

I traveled, an amazing feat for those that don't know me. Until 18 months ago I had taken one holiday in 4 years (for my brother-in-law's stag party). Since then I have been back to Munich for the Oktoberfest, to Paris for the first time. I had a great time on an abortive attempt at camping in Wales during gale season. A great friend and I went to Rome together, making me appreciate his friendship even more. Finally my girlfriend and I recently went to New York together, during which trip I realised that not only are we great together in our relationship but we are traveling soul mates.

My predictions for a great 2004 extended to those around me as well, and that also worked out pretty well.

  • One friend finally made the move to London and is now in a great flat, a good job and generally having a good time, no matter what he says sometimes.
  • Another friend found a new flat in an area he loves and got the promotion that he richly deserved but refused to believe he would get.
  • Friend number 3 (in no particular order) moved in with his girlfriend and seems to be happier than I've ever seen him.
  • One friend has a book deal for 2006-11!
  • Another friend was published for the first time.
  • And finally, although there were other great things that happened, we all went out and had a great time over Christmas.
On and on to 2005...

One of my friends is now championing 2005 as the next great year, and I am willing to go with that, although I think that for me it will be a hard year. I am going to be focusing on moving forward with a lot of things that are going to require a lot of work from me, but I truly believe that they are worth it. People that know me well will know what I'm talking about, those that don't will find out in due course.

I am looking forward to the next year, I hope it turns out well for all of you. This week I am going to be working damn hard to get my current project out of the door and then celebrate the New Year so I will be back with you all next week. Till then...

2 comments: