Monday, June 20, 2005

Money is there to be spent, right?...

So I went and did it again, I blew a load of money on a new toy. I spent most of last week fighting a battle of wills with the Apple store on Regent Street, here in sunny (for a change) London. It kept on calling to me from clear across the city, and the things in there were all so pretty. When I did cave, I would like to point out, it was limited to a minimum specification iBook.

To be honest with you I had decided that I was going to make the move to Apple, with my next computer, some time ago. I haven't mentioned it till now, partly because I really wasn't planning on getting one so soon. However I also wanted to get that last article out of the way before you all found out that I have switched camps again.

Before I am flamed by Linux advocates everywhere, please understand that I am not turning my back on Linux at all, my other machines will still continue to run Suse. The reason that I moved to Apple is simple, and it is simplicity.

I am a geek and a nerd, everyone who has every met me will testify to that, including my family and my extremely understanding girlfriend. It would be easy to assume that I would be happy to monkey around with Linux, especially being a developer and one who spends most of his time working on an open source project. It is true, but not all the time. There are other things that I want to do. For those things, Linux on the desktop is not quite there. It is there for most standard desktop tasks, it is there for the general office tasks (except Project Management where integration with MS Project really is a must have). But it is not there for video editing or some of the other associated and slightly more esoteric tasks.

By moving to Apple some people will see that as me making a statement of some kind, and I suppose it may well be whether I want it to or not. But really it was all about the right tools for the job, and that job is not what I thought it was going to be when I went down the Linux root. Again I tell you that I am not turning my back on Linux, far from it, nor on open source. One think I am definitely not doing is turning back to Microsoft, they have lost me for a good long while, if not for ever, and for those that know me well, that is a big thing...

No comments: