Friday, January 05, 2007

So Timmy, what do you want from 2007?

I'm not the type of person who makes New Year resolutions, I've talked about this before, but to be frank I just do not believe they work. They are goal oriented and do nothing for you in the long term. Saying that though, each year I try to find something to focus on for the year, something about myself or my life that I want to change, improve.

Over the past couple of years I've not had a focus. Life has been seemingly going well so I have become a little lazy on this front. But life being life things did change anyway. I left my previous job, an act that was way bigger than even I fully appreciated. I loved that job, even with it's frustrations. My new job is good in many ways, but it's just a job. I don't have a passion for it like I did for the last one.

This job is only the second one I have had since leaving University, which means that I have not had a job that I am not passionate about before. The first year has been interesting in many ways, moving from a small tight-knit company to a large, geographically spread one. Learning new skills, meeting new people has kept me interested. But now I find that one year in it's all become a little regular.

So what am I to do? Many people work in jobs that they are not passionate about. They find their passions elsewhere, they "work to live, not live to work". That's a very sensible way to look at things, getting the work/life balance right. Maybe I'm just not sensible, but I want to be passionate about the work that I do, I enjoyed life that way. So I say again, what am I to do? Both in the immediate future and beyond.

That brings us neatly back to 2007. To be able to decide on a focus for the year, I would need to know what I want to change, where I want to go from here and I just don't have those answers. Yet.

But then perhaps that's the focus I should take. Work out what I want to do and how I'm going to get there. Could be quite a challenge.

No comments: