Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wishing on a star ...

Addicted though I am to almost all types of TV and film, Sci-Fi always has been and probably always will be my first love. Undoubtedly that is to do with my technical bent, but must also be the wide open opportunities the genre provides for new stories, allegorical commentary on contemporary or historical situations or visions of potentially better, or worse, futures.

When the day finally comes that I find the perfect solution for indexing and categorising my DVD collection I will surely find that the largest percentage of it is taken up with Sci-Fi. On the occasions that I am looking for something to just throw in the DVD player and enjoy it is Sci-Fi that I turn to most often. Like over the weekend when I had time in the flat to myself, always an opportunity to watch something with the volume cranked right up. What better to enjoy at ear drum splitting volumes than a good old fashioned Sci-Fi romp. Why is it then that I am always disappointed? Why is it that I stand and stare, searching the collection for almost an hour, never satisfied with a choice as my eyes hover on any particular title?

As I scan the spines of my collection, as my sight rests on each box, the whole story of that show or movie flits through my mind. Like a flick book going at a thousand frames a second. In that moment I will decide no and move on through the collection. Arriving at the end I will usually start looking at random points on the self, thinking that there must be something that I have missed, that I have forgotten that I own. Some perfect piece of Sci-Fi that will satisfy my desires.

Those desires are for the two things that I want most from Sci-Fi on screen. I would settle, and mostly do have to, for one of those things done well, but I still burn for something that does both perfectly. What is it that I want? I want space opera, involved and emotional character driven plotting, and I want massive and intricate space battles that go on and on.

There's plenty in Sci-Fi, and my collection, that offer one or the other done well, some offer both to near perfect levels, but none of this satisfies me. Star Trek, in all incarnations, is weak on both points (yet it is of my childhood and wonderful in so many ways that I forgive and love it). Some standout episodes come close, especially in the two-parters (Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast spring instantly to mind).

Star Wars, through all its episodes, would in an early, more innocent age, have provided all that I want. But now it all seems too simple, the operatic story to small and the battles to short and without depth. The opening space battle to Episode 3 would be a winner, but the comic stylings of Obi-Wan and Anakin left me caring little for them by that point in the saga.

Battlestar Galactica shows promise, and is fresh in my mind having just watched the latest season 3 episode, but the space battles are too fast cut, to confined to a single aspect, to small conflicts. Can it ever reach the heights that I would like with such a small fleet on one side or will some maguffin always allow for an out for Adama, Thrace and the others.

The list goes on and on. Babylon 5, high on the operatic scale and moments of battle wonder but not enough. Alien/s/3/resurection, great films (each in their own way) but low on the 2 axis that I required. The Fifth Element, some literal opera but little else for me.

To me space opera should involve stories with galaxy spanning impact, fate of the race stuff played out in the relationships of great characters. Near to pure good versus evil stuff. Characters I truly love, characters I truly hate. Heroism that could end in destruction. I want to care, want to sit on the edge of my seat with worry and then leap up in celebration, or collapse with sadness. That's what I want the story to do for me, I want to feel it in my throat.

While the above could be offered by any genre, and is in wonderful ways, my other requirement can only be provided by Sci-Fi. When I talk about "massive and intricate space battles that go on and on" what I want is a scale that is almost unbelievable. I want a whole hour of a space battle, that we have been brought to through the operatic story that I described before. But I don't just want to see explosion after explosion, lasers flashing all over the place. I want every moment of the battle to have meaning. Each bank of a ship, each impact to have resonance to the story. To see the battle from many perspectives, each one that I have cause to want to see. But not the Bay style flash cutting between them, more standard story based editing, moving from one strand of the battle to another in a directed way.

All I ask is for just one film, one episode of a series to embody the perfection of these two things and I will be happy to watch it again and again and again. Never more to complain that there's nothing to put on during those times I want the experience to flow over me. If I could have only one selfish wish this would be it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then instead of looking for something to watch and wasting those precious hours with disappoinment you should write something to watch. You know what you want, just give it some hard thought and something might come to you.

Now I know this is the chief procrastinator speaknig but you've always been so much better at manging your time.

Give it a go.

She-ra

Anonymous said...

Помогите "достучаться" до любимого.Второй год не могу уговорить его поехать в санаторий, кончаться комплексное обследование, просто сдать элементарные анализы. На безвыездно единолично возражение: "На фига? Чувствую себя отличный, ничто не беспокоит, а санатории это пустая расход времени, я в них и беспричинно всегда свое младенчество провел". И баста. Никакие разумные доводы, типа, профилактика, реабилитация, простой отдых, не хочешь лететь непосредственно - возьми меня с собой (подеребаним путевку и просто отдохнем)... не доходят. Вчера отказался от 7-й путевки. Предлагают уже для подбор фактически любой санаторий. НЕТ. НЕ ХОЧУ. МНЕ ЭТО НЕ НАДО.Та же фигня со всеми ТСР.Давай возьмем новую активку - не хочу, старая опять для ходу. Подожди, только если она сломается их просто может и не находиться в наличии и придется купить изза свой счет. Пусть стоит, который она пить просит? Не надо. Поломается - починим, нет - сами купим.Давай закажем поручни в ванную комнату и туалет. Не требуется, я снова и без них самовольно нормально залажу (говорю честный, это просто акробатические этюды, у меня грудь отдельный единовременно обрывается, не дай Иегова, навернется...)И т.д. и т.п.Скажите, кто-то сталкивался с таким неприятием? И что Вы можете посоветовать в этой ситуации?П.С. Тяжелую артиллерию в виде родных и друзей уже подключила - не действует.От противного плясала. Не хочешь - начинать и не надо (ни чего не екнуло, изменений не наблюдается).Может просто топнуть ногой и завопить Я ТАК ХОЧУ! [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-svoimi-rukami/78-stroitelstvo-fundamenta-svoimi-rukami.html]квартир ремонт под ключ[/url]

Anonymous said...

Its not my first time to pay a visit this website, i am browsing this website dailly
and obtain pleasant facts from here all the time.


Feel free to surf to my website - affordable-dental-plan.org

Anonymous said...


Josh Hamilton Bashes Texas Rangers Fans in Recent Interview
Roughly two months after signing with the division rival Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Josh Hamiltonhas likely alienated whatever supporters from the Texas Rangers fanbase he had left.In an interview with CBS' Gina Miller, which comes to us via The Dallas Morning News' Evan Grant, the superstar outfielder proclaimed [url=http://www.nikeshoxsale99.com/womens-nike-shox-r4-c-11.html]cheapest nike shox[/url] thatDallas-Fort Worth is "not a true baseball town."Grant's report offers more of Hamilton's comments, but his description of his former hometown crowd is certainly the highlight.Before inkinga five-year, $125 millioncontract with the Angels this offseason, Hamilton had spent all but the first of his six major league seasons with the Rangers.While in Texas, Hamilton lived up to his incredible potential that was once dulled by substance abuse. His remarkable run was highlighted bytwo World Series appearances andwinning the MVP in 2010.
Hamilton's comments were...
All 30 MLB Teams Top Dark Horse to Crack the Opening Day Roster
Spring Stats: 7-for-22, 2 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 5 RA first-round pick in 2006, Marrero entered the 2008 season as the No. 27 prospect in baseball according to Baseball Americafollowing a season as an 18-year-old in Single-A with a275 average, 23 home runs and 88 RBI.However, his bright future has been derailed by injuries, as he missed most of 2008 with a broken fibula and was limited to just 53 games last season with a torn hamstring.Blocked by Adam LaRoche, his only chance to make the big-league club will be beating Chad Tracy or Tyler Moore out of a bench spot.The team will likely want to get him regular at-bats as a returns from injury, but he could at least be rewarded with a roster spot to kick off the season if he continues his strong spring.

Unknown said...

michael kors handbags
canada goose outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
polo outlet
coach factory outlet
valentino shoes
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
oakley sunglasses wholesale
cheap jerseys